Sunday, November 27, 2016

Stuckism?

I have just discovered "Stuckism" thanks to a bit of research inspired by Brian Lee's contribution to What Is Wrong With Us? a book of essays. Hopefully I'll get around to an essay on the topic. I certainly have affinities with the Stuckists and I remember I saw Billy Childish perform once in Toronto in the late nineties. I just stood there and stared at him. I didn't like dancing and didn't come from Toronto so wasn't a part of that scene. I just stood there. He looked at me standing there. It must have seemed odd to him judging from the expression he made at me.


Remodernism 1.
Oil on canvas
70cm x 90cm

This painting has no orientation. I sent this image to D M (who inspired me to paint it) rotated once clockwise and he says he likes it like that. You can rotate it all you like and it's still this painting. Put it up one way and in a couple of years like that someone might say, hey, he signed it like this, you've got it wrong, and you could give that person a good lecture on stuckism . . . but turn it all the same . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment